My Misguided Travels

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

What A Place

I'm actually pretty happy with myself, as I'm managing to update this every second day. So, what have I been doing for the past few days you might be thinking? Well, yesterday, I went on a walking tour around "La Boca", the area of the Buenos Aires which was where the city grew from. Boca Juniors soccer team are in the area funnily enough, so we went to see the stadium, but couldnt get in. There was a protest by some fans because they couldnt get tickets to the big match against River Plate, so they stood outside, and the police shut the stadium. We were due to go into it, but no amount of pleading with the security would work. I can always go back, but I doubt I'll have the time at all.

There were about 12 of us on the walking tour and we went for lunch in a really nice restaurant. I had my first Argentine steak, and man was it good. Even though it was a little overcooked, it was still really tender. But before I got my steak, I was brought up to do a tango with a dancer. Everyone in the restaurant was hauled up, and was pretty much mandatory before you got lunch. I hadn't a clue, but I went to a free class in the hostel last night which was pretty cool. Now I have a few new moves for the Irish dance floor! Its actually pretty good fun, and I'm off to a tango show tonight I think.

I went out with a few English last last night that are in my room and some Danish girls to some part of Buenos Aires. I haven't a clue where it is, but I only got home at about 11am this morning. We went to an Irish pub earlier last night, and the Guiness was the most expensive drink! Crazy.

It seems to be the done thing here to not go asleep at all. I'm actually not too tired now, even though I have only had an hour sleep. Met some really nice locals last night with pretty good English, so I haven't had to speak any Spanish yet. I think I'm going to get 2 hours or so of private lessons just to get a foundation.

So the big thing is that the People's Republic Of Cork t-shirt is a rip off!I bought a t-shirt yesterday in La Boca which is blue, had the same start and reads: "La Republica Polular De La Boca" A complete rip off - change the colour and the language, and hey presto you have something worth loads! I had my own t-shirt on yesterday when I bought it, and in my best Spanish I explained my t-shirt. He also knew Roy Keane. After that he led me into the Maradonna room which was full of stuff devoted to God. I particularly loved how they're still rubbing in the win over England.

Still no joy with photos, but I'll try to get that sorted soon.


·