My Misguided Travels

Saturday, May 07, 2005

We Have Liftoff!

I went to the Kennedy Space Center yesterday, which was way cool. I spent the entire day there and could probably have spent quite a bit more there. The entry fee was pretty expensive - $55, which included the standard admission and an add-on "NASA Up Close", which got me really close to the the Discovery Space Shuttle. It was totally worth it, but it was just a little too expensive. I got to within about a kilometre of the shuttle and went to all the buildings. Very worth it if you have even a passing interest in space.

I went to the Cape Canaveral Seashore and went body boarding. I hadn't gone in years, so it was great fun going, even if it was pretty cold. Not something I was expecting in Florida, but I actually got used to it. The waves were massive as it was really windy. Ended up in the water for over an hour. I could see the Discovery Launch Pad from the beach, so that was pretty cool.

Ray and I then tried looking for alligators and manatees, but failed miserably. First it was the rain and crap weather. Now all the wildlife disappeared on me. Last night, we just went out for a few pints and a few games of pool. We actually played 8 games in about 20 minutes flat. Crazy stuff. I actually got some grief getting a drink as for some stupid reason, I need a second form of ID when using a passport. I mean come on. I even showed her my 2 US visas, but she still insisted on something else. Its happened me before, that my passport is questioned as a form of ID. Only in America! Ray and I got mistaken for Germans last night outside one of the pubs. Quite bizzare. We fed him a dose of German soundings words, and he fell for hit hook, line and sinker. We were also clocked at 11mph running past one of the speed check thingys, that say "You current speed is..." Oh the craic in Cocoa Beach! Party capital of the world.

I'm just back from the beach today. Went to the local beach today. The weather was much nicer today, about 20C but the waves were much less. Only got about 1 decent wave, which was disappointing.

Going to have a barbeque in a while and just relax tonight. Even if I wanted to go out on a mad night out, it would only be with a few local 50 year olds. There's pretty much no young people here at night.

Probably just going to go to the beach tomorrow, before I head back to Orlando tomorrow night for my 8pm flight to Miami, and onto Buenos Aires. It still hasn't hit me that I'm going to South America tomorrow.

I'm pretty unprepared for going, especially my Spanish. So I guess the title of the blog is pretty apt! I don't know if I'll get a chance to go online tomorrow, so I might be in Argentina next time I blog.


·