My Misguided Travels

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Am I Safe?

While the common belief is that South America is a social, political and economic warzone, the opposite is quite true in some cases. This was actually stated in the first chapter of the travel book I'm using, Footprints, South American Handbook, (which I might add is an excellent book and much better than Lonely Planet). Some people think that South America is a no-go-zone, but I've spoken with many people that say its amazing, and no more dangerous as any country.

Obviously as an Irish citizen, I'm going to give Columbia a skip, but the other countries that I'm visiting, get a "guarded" according to AON. They've released a map of the world highlighting the risk of terrorism faced by travellers visiting different countries. The map can be found here (5MB), with the related BBC article here.

I feel somewhat relaxed considering Ireland gets the same level as all the countries I'm visiting, except the USA, which gets a rating of "elevated", one step above guarded. Its a pretty useful map, but what confuses me is the legend. It shows icons for the different risks faced in each country. Nationalist terrorist groups have a symbol of a flag, which is to be expected. But why single interest groups get a symbol of a rabbit is beyond me! Weird! Any suggestions would be gratefully received, as I'm a little worried about travelling to Argentina, Chile and the USA for fear I'll be held at gunpoint by a rabbit!


·