My Misguided Travels

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Cocoa Beach, Florida

Dear God, it's raining! I mentioned yesterday that there were "scattered thunderstorms" forecast, but this takes the biscuit. It is absolutely lashing here with thunder and lightning. I've never seen it rain so hard in my life.

I'm in the cosy confines of the local library, just checking out a few things for South America. I thought I would get a chance to post yesterday, but Dulles Airport is a hell hole! I hate that airport! I had 2 hours from when my plane arrived and my next one was due out. I thought it would be handy and I'd just wander around. But first I had to get through immigration, which was a nightmare. I wish I had travelled through Dublin or Shannon and done it there, because there was at least 200 people ahead of me, with only about 4 immigration officers. And not surprisingly, there were 5 officers for Non-US citizens, who were all free! But all us potential terrorists, were lumped together and made wait before we were photographed, and fingerprinted.

The flight over to Washington DC was fine, nothing good or bad. Well, except for the rather dodgy seat colours. The plane was less than half full, so I slept on 3 seats in the middle, which was practically first class. Didn't really sleep that well though. Never do on flights.

Then I wandered the airport looking for an American Airlines ticket desk so I could pick up tickets for flights in South America, but I couldnt. Its a massive airport. Not massive in size, but just spread out so much and all over the shop. I gave up on that and then went to get my seat number from the check in desk, but I only got that about 5 minutes before departure. It was a bit frantic with everyone asking for their seat. I got upgraded to Economy Plus though.

When I eventually arrived in Orlando, it was plain sailing. Bought my tickets, picked up my bag and met Ray (the friend I'm visiting here). Forty-five minutes later, I was in Cocoa Beach. Nice spot, but very typically American. One main strip with everything just off that.

Got Domino's Pizza last night too - $5 for a large pizza. That'd cost about 14Euro (no damm Euro sign on the keyboards) back home. I'm already beginning to like this place.

Well, I'm about to get kicked off the computer by a 70 year old librarian, so I dont want her to get violent on me. I think its getting brighter outside anyway.


·