My Misguided Travels

Thursday, July 07, 2005

The Best And The Worst

It wouldn't be a good blog if I didn't review my travels and go through the highlights and lowlights of my trip. So here are the best and worst things under various headings with a reason why. (Not yet finished)

Best:
Country: Argentina
Argentina by a long shot. Its such an amazing country. So European, cultural, vibrant, diverse, big, great fun, great food. Simply somewhere that I think everyone should go at least once. I'm already planning my return trip.

Big City: Buenos Aires
It goes without saying, but Buenos Aires was my favourite big city. It follows from my favourite country, but the city itself, while not perfect is so big, has so much wonderful architecture built on wide tree lined avenues. Being big there is so much to do all the time. I think the title of "The city that never sleeps" should be taken from New York and given to Buenos Aires. I guess its not called the Paris of Latin America for no reason.

Small City: Salta, Argentina

Sight: Salar De Uyuni
Quite simply, they blow you away. The sheer scale of the world's largest salt flats along with the uniqueness of a land made out of salt just blew my mind. Seeing white for as far as the eye can see, and travelling for hours and this not changing is just weird, but in a great way. Even when we left the salt flats, the mountains, lakes and natural landscape on our 3 night/4 day trip was amazing and one of the higlights of my trip.

Food (Non Steak): Mendoza, Argentina

Steak: Cordoba, Argentina

Beer: Quilmes, Argentina

Hostel: The Milhouse Hostel, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Journey: Buenos Aires, Argentina to Iguacu Falls, Brazil

Activity: Abseiling, Mendoza, Argentina

Experience: Everything

Worst:
Country: Chile

Big City: Santiago, Chile

Small City: Corumba, Brazil

Sight: Museo De Cultura, Santiago, Chile

Food: Cake Pizza in Tupiza, Bolivia

Steak: Salta, Argentina

Beer: Potosoni, Bolivia

Hostel: Cordoba Hostel

Journey: Santa Cruz to Potosi, Bolivia

Activity: Wine Tour, Mendoza, Argentina

Experience: Almost missing flight to San Francisco

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Stupidiest Thing I Did: Almost missing a flight
See Above

Luckiest Thing: Being woken at the gate before my flight left

Biggest Mistake: Only spending 1 day at Iguacu Falls


·