My Misguided Travels

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Maybe They Were Right

So, maybe the people that said Santiago wasn't a great place were right. I still enjoyed it, but a few reasons suggests they could be right.

Firstly the market that was supposed to be great for getting loads of things dirt cheap, was pretty useless, not unless I wanted a pair of shoes (of which I already bought 2), 2nd hand computers or ink cartridges for my printer. Other than that, it was just the same few things on sale over and over. I left after about an hour.

Yesterday, before my flight I also went to a nice neighbourhood for a while to do some shopping too. It was nice, but I didnt buy anything. But the main reason why I think the people may have been right was because we got screwed by a taxi driver.

When we arrived at the airport in Santiago from Buenos Aires, we were approached by a guy offering us a taxi. We accepted, not really asking how much it was until we were in the taxi. We didn't have any sleep so we have an excuse for not being wary. But we were charged $20,000 instead of $7,000 that I was charged on my way back to the airport. I feel stupid for taking the taxi and paying over the odds, but it was the worst thing that happened on the trip, so I'm happy.

But in every other airport, there was none of "lets rip off the tourists" mentality, which was somewhat evident in Santiago. It was handy to fly out of there and it actually is a nice big city to do some shopping, but its only a 2 day city, max.

I'm in Florida now and its roasting. It was about 30C today which was nice. There was a nice breeze, but still it was roasting. I didnt get burned, nor did I get a colour. Better than getting roasted I suppose. Just going to have a barbeque now, which should be nice.

I'm back in the land of a decent internet connection, so I don't have any excuse for not uploading photos. I'll try and upload some later. But be warned, I have hundreds. You'll be sick of them by the end of it.


·